2022 is fast approaching and with it, a chance to start anew. How do you plan to start the new year on the right foot? For us at Whole Latte Love, it means filling the remaining hours of 2021 and those first new ones of 2022 with delicious coffee recipes. Below you will find a handful to try out. But before we get to those recipes, let’s explore some of the machinery you will need to accomplish them!
Super-Automatic Espresso Machines
Make entertaining an absolute breeze with superautomatic machines like the Gaggia Cadorna Prestige, which keeps delicious espresso a button-touch away. The Cadorna Prestige features 14 pre-programmed beverages so there’s something for everyone! Even your most picky guest can find something they love.
Prosumer Espresso Machines
When you’re busy entertaining, you don’t want to worry about anything, especially dosing out perfectly fine espresso grinds. With the Eureka Mignon Specialita in Chrome or White, you can produce up to 1.8g of coffee per second for espresso. In other words, you can produce a barista quality 18g double shot in as little as 10 seconds — ideal for a busy night.
Te Ceado E37S in Black is a stepless grinder, meaning the adjustments you can make are limitless. Plus, with a super quiet 500 watt motor that that tirelessly rotates the E37S's 83mm burrs, you can keep talking to your guests even while grinding. In addition, the Ceado E37S is capable of dispensing your shot at the press of a button within 1/10th of a second. So you can press it and forget it.
If you’re using coffee preparation more as an excuse to avoid your guests (we’ve all been there), then the ECM Automatik 64 allows for more control and experimentation. The stepless grind adjustment allows for fine control over your grind setting, but manual grinding is available for those who want it!
Silver often symbolizes riches and wealth, the perfect vibes to carry into a new year. A style all their own, Frieling's double wall mirror-finish stainless steel French presses turn heads while keeping your coffee and tea hot longer than ordinary glass carafes. The all-steel mesh and plunger mechanism bring only superior quality!
The Espro P5 Press is one of the more user-friendly coffee presses available, promising grit and grinds free coffee, precise extraction, and durable materials. Meaning it’s perfect for hosts who don’t want to fiddle with anything throughout the night without sacrificing the end product.
Our 100% Arabica roast, Crema Wave is a medium roast coffee, best used for preparing espresso. It has notes of honey and almond that is perfect for the sweeter recipes below. We’ve tested this coffee in our most popular machines, including semi-automatic, super-automatic, and prosumers before we signed off on the final blend composition and roast profile.
Who doesn't love a good medium roast? Enjoy the Classico Medium Roast from illy! The Classico has lingering sweetness and delicate notes of caramel, orange blossom and jasmine with a consistently smooth finish that is never bitter.
We of course have to include a dark roast into the mix. This one from Lavazza has a tailored roast profile that enhances the coffee's strength and body without promoting bitterness. You'll find a lingering finish of chocolatey notes that make it an ideal brew to pair with milk.
Some things never go out of style. For instance, the classic appeal of these mugs simply cannot be beat, no matter how much time passes. Sometimes all you need are black and white ceramics.
Espresso Fondue Recipe
When it comes to counting down to the new year, finger foods that you can snack on throughout the night are always the best option. You want something that is quick and easy, so you can dart off between commercials. This fondue recipe is absolutely perfect for such a thing.
- 14 ounces wrapped caramel cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces espresso
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Simmer water in a double-boiler pot on the stove.
- Once your pot is to temperature gently combine all of your ingredients, stirring until everything is incorporated.
- Once everything has blended completely into a nice, smooth mixture transfer your fondue into a fondue pot to keep it at temperature.
- Serve immediately.
Fondue Tip: If you don't own a fondue pot, all you really need to do is keep the double boiler and fondue hot, stirring occasionally.
Coffee Crème Brûlée
Manifest a sweet new year with this delicious coffee creme brulee. The soft custard contrasted with a burnt caramel glaze has been a crowd pleaser since the late 1600s. In this case, we’re reintroducing the classic treat with a modern coffee twist.
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups dark-roast whole bean coffee
- 10 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 320° Fahrenheit.
- Add cream and coffee beans to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes then pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Discard coffee beans.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Slowly add cream and whisk to mix the ingredients. Skim any foam or bubbles from the surface.
- Divide custard among the five ramekins. Place the molds in a roasting pan and place in the oven. Pour boiling water around the molds (about halfway up the sides).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the custards are set, but the center is still loose.
- Remove molds from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Use a fine sieve to sift 1 tbsp of sugar over each custard. Hold a torch at a 90-degree angle, about 4 inches from the surface and carefully caramelize each custard until the tops are a light brown color.
Spiked Eggnog Latte
If you have any leftover eggnog from Christmas, don’t throw it out! Spike this deliciously thick and creamy drink to give it a fun twist. This recipe is definitely for those with a sweet tooth.
- 2 ounces espresso
- 6 ounces eggnog
- 1 ounce spiced rum
- Whipped cream
- Nutmeg (for garnish)
- Steam your eggnog to the proper consistency for pouring a latte. This may be a bit different from frothing milk due to the richness and viscosity of the eggnog.
- Pull your shot into a latte cup. Use a larger cup if you intend to add whipped cream as a garnish.
- Optional Step: Combine your rum with your shot and mix well.
- Pour your steamed nog into your espresso.
- Optional Step: Top your latte with whipped cream (especially if you’re still mastering latte art) and garnish with nutmeg.
Barista Tip: The quality of your art won’t make your drink any tastier, but properly textured milk/eggnog will blend better with your espresso for a truly creamy latte.
Whiskey Espresso Shooters
We’ve been loving this recipe this season, and New Year’s Eve is no different. If a super sweet drink isn’t your cup of tea, but you’d still like something alcoholic to enjoy with a hint of milk, then Whiskey Espresso Shooters are the perfect choice. Serving size makes two whiskey and espresso shooters.
- 3 oz. rye whiskey
- 6 tbsp. of cold espresso
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream
- Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice cubes. Add rye whiskey, cold espresso and heavy cream.
- Cover the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Transfer the whiskey and espresso shooters evenly into two shooter glasses.
- Garnish each with whipped cream and serve immediately before the drinks get warm.
Coffee Jello Shots
Jello shots are not just for college nights out. With strong coffee and a hearty dose of Kahlua, this recipe moves into sophisticated territory. If your New Year’s Eve is a fun one, these shots are certainly a must-make.
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3/4 cups strong coffee
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 3 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin
- 3 tbsp. Kahlua or coffee liqueur
- Follow the instructions on the package to make your gelatin mix.
- Add the coffee into the mixture and gently whisk. Pour in the condensed milk and Kahlua and continue to whisk.
- Pour the mixture into an 8x8” pan and refrigerate for a few hours, until set. If there are bubbles on the surface, remove the pan from the refrigerator after 20 minutes and skim the top layer off with a spoon before putting the back in the fridge to set.
- Once the gelatin is set, simply cut, serve, and enjoy!
With any of these recipes, you are sure to have a fun and delectable jaunt into the new year. Cheers to 2022 and even more caffeinated nights!